Nexus 7 - Update 3

I've been exploring the Nexus 7 tablet a little more over the last few weeks.

I figured that I needed some way to create documents on the go, particularly as the portability of the Nexus 7 means that it would be a useful thing to take where even the Mac Book Air is too bulky - although I'm struggling to think of many times when that would be the case.
I put an app called OfficeSuite 6 Pro on there.
Had the free trial first (you can have a free week of the app fully functioning to try it out, which is a good 'taster' offer) and it seemed to work quite well, so used a chunk of the 'free' £15 Google Play credit that I'd been given when buying the tablet on the app.
The app allows me to create and edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents. There are also options online of course through Google Docs, but it's good to be able to work on Office documents should I need to.


Also put Skype on the Nexus to try out the video calling.
I changed the desktop to a lighter image, which has changed the overall 'look' of the device a lot for me.

I'm using Tweetcaster as my Twitter client - thanks to Anne Greaves for the recommendation. It works well, and has all the options I would need.

I put the HP ePrint Home app on there to try printing from the tablet, and this has now been updated for Jelly Bean support and works perfectly with my HP wireless printer.

I've also bought a little micro-USB adaptor cable for a quid from Amazon, and can connect a mouse which works, with an arrow cursor appearing on the screen - although again as it's a touch screen tablet that's of limited use.

Here's a size comparison that I did between the iPad and the iPhone 3GS for those who haven't seen the Nexus 7.

Here's Fraser Speirs' thoughts on the tablet, particular the aspect of its size. I'll be intrigued if Apple do release an iPad Mini because for me the iPad's size is one of its winning features compared to the Nexus.

I tried a USB keyboard with the tablet to overcome one of the limitations of its size: the ability to type. You can, of course, use the voice recognition software, and this works very well. The voice search, as I've already said, is excellent too.
I used it over the last week on train journeys for the Kindle app, and it's a good size for reading. It's light and fits into a small pocket on my rucksack. Here's how GOOGLE EARTH looks on it too...

So far, still so good....

Comments