Back to School....

All around England and Wales, teachers are preparing themselves for the first few weeks of the new academic year - in fact colleagues in some counties have already been back for some time...

Norfolk colleagues, including my wife, go back next week, with some INSET days to kick them off...

For the 5th year running, I won't be joining you/them, so I'm not feeling that nagging sense of excitement, anticipation and nausea that I used to. As always, there's a warm welcome from the DfE and OFSTED for teachers, in the form of new professional standards, and there'll also be students with grades that they weren't expecting. NQTs are preparing for new jobs, and PGCE / GTP and other colleagues who are training are going through all the advice they've been given. I hope you feel positive.
Learners will arrive after a long break eager to get going, and get back to some routine in their lives, or perhaps resentful that their summer of relaxation has ended. There are courses to start teaching for the first time, and transition students going up to the 'big school' or starting school for the first time.

Can I take this opportunity to send all teachers, their families and the staff who support them my very best wishes for the academic year.

I've been very fortunate to work with thousands of teachers over the last few years, and hope to work with many hundreds more in the year ahead, at home and abroad.
If you want me to come and visit your school and can find a way to fund it, please get in touch. I miss those old feelings that I used to have 'on a school night'...

Comments