Mike Oldfield rules the world...

Well, not quite...

When I was a young lad, the first album I bought was 'Tubular Bells'. It was my Uncle Steve who had a big black beard and long hair who used to play it when I visited my nan, and it was unlike anything I'd heard before... Even now, the 15/8 piano riff at the start gets me going...
I was intrigued by the recent ad for Virgin Money, which shows all the things that the Virgin empire has expanded to include. The global reach of Virgin was enabled by the obsessive hours spent in the recording studio out of hours doing endless overdubs of instruments....

Richard Branson's decision to expand from his mail order business into the record business, and his choice of the unconventional Oldfield as the first release on Virgin records is still one of the best decisions ever made...

"This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station."

Comments